Saturday, May 2, 2009

Djokovic, Federer Blockbuster Set

Defending champion Novak Djokovic continued his sizzling run at ATP World Tour Masters 1000 level this year after dismissing World No. 5 Juan Martin del Potro 6-3, 6-4 to reach the semi-finals of the Internazionali BNL d’Italia in Rome Friday. The Serb will next meet four-time ATP World Tour Champion Roger Federer, whom he defeated in the Miami semi-finals early last month.

Djokovic is now one win away from his third consecutive ATP World Tour Masters 1000 final. Two weeks ago he pushed ATP World Tour champion Rafael Nadal to three sets in the Monte-Carlo final and last month he fell to Andy Murray in the Miami final.

Djokovic, who is locked in a three-way battle with Roger Federer and Andy Murray for the No. 2 spot in the South African Airways 2009 ATP Rankings (Read Story), has not dropped a set in three career meetings with del Potro.

The 21-year-old defending champion has not dropped a set this week. He needed only 61 minutes to defeat No. 13 seed Tommy Robredo 6-1, 6-1 on Thursday. He opened the tournament Tuesday with a 7-6(5), 6-0 victory over Spaniard Albert Montanes.

Djokovic said: “Today I tried to change the pace a lot, because I know that del Potro likes more or less the same pace, and he's moving really well for his height. I knew that I had to move him, left/right, try to be patient, and go for the little longer rallies and a little more spin into the balls. That's what I did. I think I've played well. It's a good win for me. I'm ready for next challenge."

Of being the defending champion, Djokovic said: “You have some certain pressure and responsibility. It's a bit difficult to defend a title and all these points. I think I've been doing quite a good job until now.”

Federer
, a Rome finalist in 2003 and 2006, advanced to the semi-finals with a 7-6(3), 6-2 win over German qualifier Mischa Zverev.

Federer withstood an early challenge from Zverev, who was willing to approach the net on a regular basis. Saving both break points he faced, Zverev was able to force the first set to a tie-break before Federer, who did not face a break point in the match, finished strongly to close out a 7-6(3), 6-2 win after hitting 36 winners.

Since winning his first ATP World Tour title in February 2001 in Milan, Federer has never failed to win a title in the first four months of the season until this year. The 14-time ATP World Tour Masters 1000 champion reached the Australian Open final in January, losing a five-set battle to Rafael Nadal. He also reached the semi-finals in Doha, Indian Wells and Miami.

Federer leads Djokovic 7-3 in career meetings and has won their two outings on clay. Djokovic, who rallied from a set down to beat Federer in Miami last month, has never beaten the Swiss two consecutive times.

Federer paid credit to Zverev for his performance in the first set: “He was playing well I thought from the start. He served some good serves, and made it easy for him to hold in the beginning. Made it hard for me to get the break… It was a pity I couldn't make the forehand on set point at 5-4, I think it was. But then I played a great breaker and I played well after that, so it was a perfect match for me. I was happy with my match.”

The Swiss said he looked forward to his meeting with Djokovic. “We haven't had each other that much on clay. Seems like he's playing well again. He came through very convincing against good players, so I expect a good match. I hope I can play better than in Miami.”

(From Website : http://www.atpworldtour.com/TENNIS/1/EN/NEWS/NEWSARTICLE_3397.ASP)